This year CIPR members will chose a President-Elect for 2021 as well a new Council for 2021-23. The regulations under which these elections will be held have recently been updated and can be read here
(Appendix C – Rules for the Conduct of Elections). Anyone considering standing as a candidate, or intending to publicly support a candidate, must read these regulations in order to be clear about how and when campaigning is allowed.
The timetable for the elections is as follows:
Before 31 August
members considering standing can have private conversations to see whether they have sufficient support before they decide to stand. Group committees can also discuss whether to nominate candidates to go on the ballot paper.
Tuesday 1 September
– the nomination period opens. On this date the nomination forms are published and candidates can begin seeking the nominations they require to stand.
Wednesday 30 September
– the nomination period ends. There is then a verification period for the Returning Officer to check that all the nominations are valid.
Friday 2 October
– voting opens. Voting will be online or by phone. During the voting period candidates may campaign within the rules. The CIPR will host one Zoom call for each candidate standing to become President-Elect, where members can talk to them about their plans. These calls will be held on the evening of Monday 5 October in alphabetical order by candidate surname. If there is not sufficient time to have a meeting for all candidates on a single evening, meetings will continue on the evening of Tuesday 6 October.
Friday 16 October
– voting closes. There is a brief period to allow for any appeals.
Monday 19 October
– the results of the election will be announced.
Council normally meets four times each year. Currently meetings are held on Zoom though it is likely that next year, one or more may be held in person.
The President-Elect serves a three-year term on the CIPR Board, first as President-Elect for a year, then as President for a year, and finally as Immediate Past President for a year. The Presidents chairs meetings of Board and Council and leads the Institute during their term of office.
For an informal private discussion about the role of a Council member or of President-Elect, contact one of the current office holders
or contact Chief Executive Alastair McCapra