Although seen as cousins, public relations and marketing have much to teach each other. This course explains to PR practitioners what marketing is really about and provides a new perspective on their own discipline. Making the most of what PR practitioners already know, it is an excellent way to ‘sidegrade’ into marketing.
Who should attend
Anyone who wants a fresh look at public relations, wishes to expand their client offering, or needs a better understanding of what marketers bring to the table. Freelance practitioners are particularly welcome.
What to expect
- What is marketing? How does it relate to promotion, public relations, and marcomms?
- What is the golden role of marketing? What is the ‘forgotten half’ of the discipline?
- What can marketers teach PR practitioners… and vice versa?
Participation in the course will provide you with the knowledge to:
- define marketing and compare it with promotion, public relations, and marcomms
- outline the golden rule of marketing and show there are two, equally important, elements to marketing
- explain what innovation is really about and why this matters to PR, too
- understand the central role of insight and what PR can teach marketers
- explore the right way and the wrong way to segment an audience
- draft a marketing strategy that makes full use of your experience in PR
- demonstrate to marketers that PR has much more to offer than simply publicity.